Chromis How To: Polycom EHS with Jabra Headsets
There is always a lot of confusion as to how to add an Electronic Hook Switch (EHS) Cable to Polycom phones and Jabra Headsets. Anytime someone has ordered one from Chromis, we receive a call on how to make it work. The instructions that come with the cable are a little vague, so here’s how to do it… Step by step…
The following Polycom Soundpoint IP telephones have been tested and support Electronic Hook Switch: 320/330 (Both of these phones require a 2.5mm to RJ-9 adapter), 430, 450, 550, 560, 650 and 670 desktop phones. Check the Jabra-Polycom compatibility matrix to make sure your phone and headset are compatible with each other.
NOTE: This information applies to SoundPoint IP phones running SIP software version 3.0 or later. To check which version you are running please use the following steps:
**1. **Press “Menu”.
2. Select: Status > Platform > Application > Main – Version will appear on the screen: *It needs to be 3.0.X.XXXX or greater. *If you are not running SIP version 3.0 or greater the EHS adapter will not work. See your PBX administrator for a firmware upgrade.
Now that we’ve figured out that we’re compatible let’s connect your Polycom phone and Jabra headset with the EHS adapter, just follow these simple steps:
1. On the back on the phone, plug the pin end of the headset adapter into the serial port on your Polycom phone. Make sure to align the pins correctly. They can be tricky. I’ve spent several minutes diagnosing a problem only to find out that the pins were misaligned when the user attached the cable to the phone. See Figure 1 below.
2. Plug the other end of the EHS cable into the AUX port on the headset base station. See Figure 2 below.
3. On the headset base station, program the headset into “DHSG mode”. The headset base station will reboot. (Every headset is different. See your headset owners manual for more information on how to change your headset to DHSG.)
You’re not done yet… Just a few more steps. Now we need to get the software to recognize the EHS adapter on the Polycom phone:
**1. **Press “Menu”.
2. Select: Settings > Basic > Preferences > Headset > Analog Headset
3. Use the up and down arrows to highlight “Jabra DHSG”. Then press the Select soft key to activate Jabra DHSG on your Polycom phone. See Figure 3 below.
4. Press “Menu” or the Back soft key repeatedly to return to the idle display.
**That’s it, now you can start **Placing, Answering and Ending Calls using your headset:
- Press the hookswitch control on the headset to answer or end calls. However, you may not be able to put calls on hold or switch between lines or call appearances with the headset.
- Lift the handset off-hook or press the headset button on the telephone to switch to the handset during a call or while the phone is ringing. Press the headset button on the telephone to switch to the headset during a call or while the phone is ringing.
- Press speaker button to switch to the speakerphone during a call or while the phone is ringing. Press the hook switch control on the headset to switch to the headset during a call or while the phone is ringing.
To purchase a Jabra/Polycom EHS adaptor from the Chromis Store, Click here.